Thursday, January 27, 2011

Baby update!

I am now almost 38 weeks pregnant. I can't believe how fast this 9 month journey has flown by, but now it's really starting to drag on. I went to the doctors today. I'm dilated to a three and 60% effaced! This makes me so happy, because I still remember that after 24 hours of hard labor with Brooklyn, I was only dilated to a one!! :( (Not one of my fondest memories!) Guess that's what happens when they start you at 35 weeks. Granted my joy of the doctor telling me that I am dilated to a three soon passed when he said, "I had a patient that was dilated to a 5 for three weeks!" Ugh!! However, I am having lots of contractions, so hopefully we will have this baby sooner rather than later.

Brandon has been gone for the past week to Washington DC to present his paper to the Transportation Research Board. We neither one realized at the time of his paper submission that the conference would happen this close to our baby's due date. Brooklyn has been an angel while he has been gone, but it is the day to day stuff that is really getting to me. Bending over in the tub to try and give her a bath, when her toys get stuck underneath the couch, loading her in and out of the car, etc. . . all of these relatively simple tasks are becoming somewhat difficult. (All manageable, but boy do I miss his help.)

Brooklyn felt the baby kick for the first time and you should have seen the look on her face. Priceless!! She was so shocked and excited. She looked up and said "BABY SIZZTER??!!" I love that she is understanding what is going on. I am sad however, that due to flu season Brooklyn is not allowed to see the baby until we bring her home. :( My doctor did say that he would induce me a week early. I just wanted to get opinions on induction, and also going natural verses an epidural. What are your thoughts??

13 comments:

  1. I can't believe Brandon got stuck in D.C.! I hope he makes it home soon. I also can't believe how close you are to having this baby! That last month of pregnancy is totally a new ballgame, I'm SO glad you are getting to experience it ;) I was really glad to get induced- I liked knowing when it was all going to happen. I figure I experienced the contractions and that was good enough for me, oh and epidural all the way!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh- just noticed I am logged in as Landon-- this is Amanda :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, when you are not the one pregnant it seems to go by even faster:) Sounds like you are so close! For me, when I was educed, my labor was a lot longer. Going natural is an amazing experience. Call me crazy, but I recommend trying it at least once. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Two answers.... YES AND NO..... No to induction and YES to epidural. Reasons you already know, but I'll explain again :) No induction because obviously your body isn't ready, let nature run its course and let your little girl decide when she wants to come. YES to epidural because HELLO.... we were born in this day and age for a reason and "pain free is the way to be":)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was induced and I love it!! I was only in labor for about 9 hours. I just loved knowing that I was in the hospital for all my contractions and not waiting at home wondering if they were close enough together. As for me I would never try to go natural.. that just freaks me out! I was in enough pain for an hour and I don't think I could have handled it any longer! But good for you if you can make it through that with out an epidural!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. No to induction...I think they come when they are ready. Who's to say they're done cooking?! And yes to "pain free"! That is of course if your epidural takes. Good luck with everything, we are excited for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. exciting!!! may the next little while go quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Exciting times! I vote an enthusiastic YES to epidural!! It is a beautiful thing! I have been happy and even laughing through my last 2 deliveries! :) Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm with the majority on this one... YES to an epideral! I know there are people who go natural and "love" it but I think it's NUTS! And if you don't have to be induced I don't think I would. With Baylor I had to because of my high blood pressure but he could have used a little longer to keep growing! Unless you get obnoxiously overdue I think I would wait but it's a lot easier to say that when I'm not the one who's been preggers for the last 38 weeks :) Good luck with the decisions. Can't wait to meet your little addition!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can't wait to see you NEW LITTLE GIRL! You look SOOOOOOO CUTE prego:D
    As for ADVICE... You and Brandon know whats best for you guys. No 2 deliveries are the same even with the same MOMMA & DAD sooooooooooooo follow your HEART and it will be BEAUTIFUL and hopefully pain free:D

    ReplyDelete
  11. Epidural, all the way. I say all childbirth is natural.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am so excited that you are getting so close to meeting your baby girl! I vote YES on the natural childbirth, I LOVED it! I also got induced and wasn't too excited about the whole idea but after it was all said and done it wasn't too bad. Good luck on your decision and no matter what you decide good luck on delivery!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I also vote YES for the epidural, when I got to the hospital after having had some pretty good contractions for 6 hours (and found out I was already dilated to a 7.5) I realized it was only going to get worse....I got mine JUST in time and it was easier for me to "enjoy" Addy's birth and everything afterwards. I know people say that once you hold your baby you don't feel the pain of childbirth anymore but I personally don't buy it! I'm also with the majority on the induction stance...let the baby cook as long as necessary :) Good Luck with everything!!!

    ReplyDelete